Publisher: Quality Chess
The Cutting Edge is a new type of opening book. The purpose of the series is to investigate a selection of the most critical variations in various openings, providing a state-of-the-art, "cutting edge" snapshot of the current theoretical picture as well as suggesting numerous improvements and new ideas.
In Cutting Edge: The Open Sicilian 1 the variations covered are:
* Sveshnikov 13.Nxb5 piece sac: 9.Bxf6 gxf6 10.Nd5 f5 11.Bd3 Be6 12.c3 Bg7 13.Nxb5 axb5 14.Bxb5
* Sveshnikov 18.h4 pawn sac: 9.Nd5 Be7 10.Bxf6 Bxf6 11.c3 0-0 12.Nc2 Bg5 13.a4 bxa4 14.Rxa4 a5 15.Bc4 Rb8 16.b3 Kh8 17.Nce3 g6 18.h4!?
* Sveshnikov: 9.Nd5 Be7 10.Bxf6 Bxf6 11.c4
* Rauzer, doubled f-pawn variation: 6.Bg5 e6 7.Qd2 a6 8.0-0-0 Bd7 9.f4 b5 10.Bxf6 gxf6
* Chinese Dragon: 9.Bc4 Bd7 10.0-0-0 Rb8
* Dragon, 12...Re8 system: 9.Bc4 Bd7 10.0-0-0 Rc8 11.Bb3 Ne5 12.Kb1 Re8
* Dragon, Topalov variation: 9.Bc4 Bd7 10.0-0-0 Rc8 11.Bb3 Nxd4 12.Bxd4 b5
* Taimanov, English Attack main line: 5.Nc3 Qc7 6.Be3 a6 7.Qd2 Nf6 8.f3 Bb4 9.0-0-0
* Taimanov, English Attack with 8... Be7: 5.Nc3 Qc7 6.Be3 a6 7.Qd2 Nf6 8.0-0-0 Be7 9.f3
* Taimanov with 5...a6: 5.Nc3 a6 6.Nxc6 bxc6 7.Bd3
* Kan: 5.Nc3 Qc7 6.Bd3 Nf6 7.0-0 Bc5
* Kan: 5.Bd3 Bc5
Milos Pavlovic is a highly experienced Serbian grandmaster and former Yugoslav Champion, whose analysis is regularly featured in New in Chess and Chess Informant. This is his first book for Quality Chess.